MACON-PIATT REGIONAL OFFICE OF EDUCATION #39
Bus Transportation Services
The Regional Office of Education is responsible for conducting and keeping records of the initial training that is required for all new school bus drivers prior to getting a bus driver permit, and annual refresher workshops that are required to renew school bus permits. Drivers must take a two-hour refresher course annually, and all new drivers must take an eight-hour course in school bus driver safety and first aid, as prescribed by the Illinois State Board of Education and administered by the ROE.
School Bus Driver Refresher Course Information
The date of the annual refresher training shall be computed as follows:
- The first refresher training following initial training must be completed within one year (365 days) from the date of initial training. The date of the first refresher training will be known as the refresher date.
- In the event that an individual completes subsequent refresher training between the actual refresher date and 60 days prior to that refresher date, the next annual refresher date will not change. In the event refresher training is completed more than 60 days prior to the refresher date, the date the driver completes the refresher training will become the new annual refresher date.
Source: Amended at 35 Ill. Reg. 7412, effective April 21, 2011
If Their Bus Driving Permit Lapses
(Example: expired May 1 and it’s now May 15)
- They have a 30-day grace period from the expiration date, to get all paperwork completed and turned in.
- They cannot continue to drive during this grace period. They can only drive after the school bus driver’s permit has been reinstated.
- If this timeline is not met (30 days), the driver would have to start over at the initial training stage as if they had never driven a bus before.
aLL PARTICIPANTS MUST PRE-REGISTER IN ADVANCE BY CALLING 217-872-3721.
pLEASE NOTE: iF LESS THAN 5 STUDENTS ARE REGISTERED THE REFRESHER BUS DRIVER SESSION WILL BE SUBJECT TO CLASS CANCELLATION.