Macon-Piatt Regional Office of Education #39
If you would like to substitute teach in Macon-Piatt Counties you will need to hold a valid Professional Educator License (PEL), Substitute Teacher License (SUB) or Short-Term Substitute License (STS).
- If you hold a Valid Teaching License (PEL) you DO NOT need a Substitute License.
- A Substitute License (SUB) is valid for 5 years and is renewable.
- A Short-term Subsitute license (STS) is valid until June 30, 2023 and may NOT be renewed.
- Note: You must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited 4-year institution for a SUB license.
STEP ONE: Obtain a Substitute Teacher License through the State of Illinois:
If you have a valid teaching license, skip ahead to STEP THREE.
- Log on to www.isbe.net and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log into ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue.
- Follow the steps and click on “Apply for Substitute Teacher license." You will pay $50.00 plus a convenience fee.
- At this point, you should send your official sealed copies of transcripts to ROE #39. They must be from an accredited university and show a bachelor’s degree has been awarded. You can now have official transcripts emailed from your university to email@example.com
- A new law is in effect that allows individuals who have worked at least 10 full school days on the substitute license to receive a refund from ISBE for your substitute application fee. The law is applicable to any educator who had a SUB license issued on or after July 1, 2017. For more information, click here.**
STEP TWO: Register your Substitute Teaching License:
- Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you must register your license before it will be valid.
- Click on Registration under the Home tab and follow the steps. You will pay $60.00 plus a convenience fee.
Anytime during this process, you can begin the steps below for employment in our districts.
STEP THREE: How to obtain a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #39:
Persons wishing to be considered for a Substitute position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #39. The substitute packet includes the following:
- Substitute Teacher Application Form
- Release of Information Form
- Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) - signed by a physician, no more than 1 year old.
STEP FOUR: Fingerprinting - this is the last step and should be completed after the steps above
- Come in person to our office and pay for your fingerprinting and an appointment will be made for you. The cost is $65 and can be paid with cash or money order to ROE #39.
- This is the last step! Once you have completed and submitted all of the Substitute Packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received here at our office, we will mail you a Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check and physical. You will need to take that information to each district office where you would like to substitute teach. Let them copy it for their files and apply directly with them
Macon Piatt Regional Office of Education
Delivery information for transcripts:
1690 E. Huston Dr.
Decatur, IL 62526
Dee Williams, Licensure Specialist
Electronic transcripts must be sent by the university to the e-mail address above. They may not come from the substitute applicant directly or it will invalidate the transcript.