Macon-Piatt Regional Office of Education #39
How to Become a Paraprofessional (Teacher Assistant):
To obtain an Illinois Paraprofessional license for employment as a teacher assistant, an applicant can be qualified by one of the following:
- At least 19 years of age
- 1 of the following:
NOTE: Paraprofessional licenses are valid for 5 years and may be renewed with the payment of registration fees.
- Associate’s degree or higher
- 60 semester hours of coursework
- High School Diploma or GED and a score of 460 or higher on the ETS Parapro
- High School Diploma or GED and the following scores on the ACT Workkeys:
- Applied Mathematics/Applied Math (with a score of 4)
- Reading for information/Workplace Documents (with a score of 4)
- You may find information for the WorkKeys and ETS Praxis Parapro test on Lincoln Land Community College’s website:(http://www.llcc.edu/student-services/placement-testing/paraprofessional-testing/). The tests are administered at LLCC in Springfield.
How do I get a Paraprofessional license?
STEP ONE: Obtain a Paraprofessional License through the State of Illinois:If you have a valid teaching license, skip ahead to STEP THREE.
- Log on to www.isbe.net and click on TEACHERS. Click on Log into ELIS, then click on Login to your ELIS account (under Educator Access), then click on Sign up Now in the left side margin and follow the prompts. Select Continue.
(MAKE SURE YOU ARE USING FIREFOX OR GOOGLE CHROME AS YOUR BROWSER - NOT INTERNET EXPLORER)
- Follow the steps and click on “Apply for Paraprofessional license." You will pay $100 plus a convenience fee.
- At this point, you should send your official sealed copies of transcripts to ROE #39. They must be from an accredited university and show an Associates degree has been awarded OR a minimum of 60 credit hours.
- You may have official electronic transcripts emailed directly from your university to email@example.com
STEP TWO: Register your Paraprofessional License:
- Once the application status changes from “Pending Review” to “Issued” on your ELIS Account – you must register your license before it will be valid.
- Click on Registration under the Home tab and follow the steps. You will pay $30.00 plus a convenience fee.
- Once your Para license is registered you may contact districts directly regarding employment.
- If you are planning on working as a Para-Substitute then the following steps ALSO must be completed.
STEP THREE: How to obtain a Para-Substitute Teacher Authorization letter from ROE #39:
- Persons wishing to be considered for a Para-Substitute position must submit the substitute packet materials to ROE #39. The para-substitute packet includes the following:
- Para-Substitute Teacher Application Form
- Release of Information Form
- Original Statement of Good Health (no photocopies) signed by a physician, no more than 1 year old.
- BUSHUE authorization forms for your fingerprint appointment. Return these forms to firstname.lastname@example.org PRIOR to scheduling your fingerprint appointment.
STEP FOUR: Fingerprinting:
- Pay for your fingerprinting PRIOR to making your appointment. The cost is $65 and can be paid online via converge.net (see link below) or by cash or money order in person at our office. There will be a $2.00 convenience fee charged online.
- Click here to pay for your Substitute fingerprinting online
- Once you have completed and submitted all of the para-substitute packet paperwork and the results of your fingerprinting from BUSHUE have been received at our office, we will mail you a Para-Substitute Teacher Authorization letter along with a copy of your background check and physical.
- You will need to take that information to each district office where you would like to para-substitute teach. Let them copy it for their files and apply directly with them