Out of State/Country Applicants


Create an ELIS Account

  1. Log into the Educator Licensure Information System (ELIS) at

  2. On Educator Access, select the Login to your ELIS account link.

  3. Click on Sign Up Now on the left side of the page.

  4. Fill in all of the required fields and click to continue. Once logged into ELIS, apply for an Illinois PEL license. There is a $150.00 fee plus a transaction fee for the PEL application.
    5. Email your Out-of-State license to

    6. If you are Out-of-State and do NOT have an active teaching license, send your university, form 80-02 or 80-02S whichever is applicable. Forms can be found at Your university will send the completed forms directly to ISBE per the instructions on the top of the forms. 

    7. Request your university to send your official transcripts to OR US mail them to:

    Macon/Piatt Regional Office of Education #39
    1690 Huston Drive
    Decatur, IL 62526 
    Attn:  Dee Williams

    8. If you have a position pending with a CUSD, I can put a Priority Rush Request through on your behalf which will expedite your PEL application with ISBE.
    The Illinois State Board of Education will then evaluate your PEL license application, documentation and either issue your Illinois Professional Educator License (PEL) or post a deficiency notice with a request for additional information.
    10. Once the Illinois PEL license is issued it will need to be registered before it will be considered valid.

Monitor your ELIS account for any activity or communication from ISBE.

Testing information can be found at


In order to become licensed in Illinois, foreign applicants must have been prepared as an educator outside of the United States, meet all coursework and testing requirements, be legally eligible for employment in the United States, and meet all other requirements detailed in Illinois statute and rules.

If you have foreign credentials, you will need to obtain an evaluation that converts the foreign educational credentials to equivalent American semester credits and courses. The evaluation will need to specify the grade level for which you prepared as a teacher. It will also need to indicate the American degree equivalence of your foreign credentials. You will find a list of approved foreign credential evaluation organizations in the below link.

Foreign Credential Evaluation Sources

Official foreign credential evaluation reports MUST be sent DIRECTLY by the evaluation agency to ROE # 39 via mail or email at

PEL/ELS-VIT Checklist for Out of Country Applicants

Follow the instructions below on how to apply.

  • Go to

  • Click on System Quick Links at the top of the page.

  • Select ELIS: Educator Licensure Information System.

  • Click on Login to your ELIS account under the “Educator Access” option.

  • Enter with Login Name and Password

  • If you have not created a new ELIS account, click on Sign Up Now and create an account.

  • Below the “Action Center” box on the home page of your ELIS account, you will find the Apply for Credential option.

  • Click the Educator License with Stipulations – Visiting International Teachers (VIT) OR Illinois PEL license option on the next page.  (If you are not sure which license to apply for please contact Dee Williams at or 217-872-3720.

  • Selecting that link will take you through a wizard that walks you step by step through the application process.

  • At this time, it is $150 plus processing fee to apply.

  • ISBE will send an e-mail when the account is updated.  Once issued, you must register the license in Macon-Piatt Regional Office of Education #39 by selecting the Registrations option from the “Action Center” box on the home page of your ELIS account. 

  • Selecting that link will take you through another wizard that walks you step by step through the registration process. 

o   At this time, it is $60 plus processing fee to register.

o   Since IL moved to licensure in 2013, the state no longer issues a paper or electronic version of a license.  Once issued and registered, the only verification an individual can print is the “Credentials” page of the ELIS account. 

 ISBE has authority to determine license equivalency and may request additional documentation to verify equivalency.  Any educator applying with an out-of-country license must also submit a translated foreign credential evaluation showing preparation in the licensure area sought.  Visit the International Resources section of our website to learn more.